Monday, October 1, 2012

Picture Perfect Weekend

This past weekend was spent away in Calgary with my amazingly wonderful Mom and sister-in-law Suzanne. We ditched our husbands and kiddos (in my case) and drove up to spend a schedule-less holiday shopping, reading, eating and enjoying one another's company. We left St. Albert around 3 and fought what felt like bumper to bumper traffic all the way there. It was a looooonnnggg drive, but we passed the time laughing and chatting. After a brief pit stop in Red Deer, we arrived in Calgary and went straight to Cross Iron Mills to kick off our shopping weekend! We had a lovely dinner at Boston Pizza (which, by the way has 28 new menu items and Sue had THE most delicious pizza to ever graze my lips), walked around until the mall closed and then headed to our hotel to check in. We read, relaxed and hit the hay around 10 pm. A perfect start.

Sue and I at BP's. 

As always, a sleep without kids has no bearing on my wake up time. Dang internal clock. I arose at 6:30 am, feeling slightly let down that my body would not allow me to sleep in. My mom and I did a little Starbucks run for some much needed caffeine. 

fresh-faced, early morning coffee run!

We gathered Sue and headed to the most unique, amazingly delicious breakfast joint I have ever been to. We met our lovely friends, Kjerstin and Darren Mein (who just got married this past June) who suggested the Pfanntastic Pannenkoek Haus for some authentic Dutch pancakes.  (*CHECK IT OUT). With a delicious mix of savory & sweet, we ordered 3 to share and topped it off with a banana, chocolate & coconut pancake. Ummm, absolutely scrumptious. If you are ever in Calgary, you simply must go! After a lovely visit, we went to Marda Loop to hit up our favorite jewelry store... Doo Dads. As always, my mom left with an armful of goodies. We continued our shopping extravaganza at Chinook Center. Aritzia, Anthropologie and Lulu were calling my name. We spent a couple hours there (and a little money) and then took a Starbucks break. 

re-fueling with an Americano and little pumpkin loaf

We headed back to our hotel for a little rest before meeting my cousin Paige and her husband Seb at Open Sesame for dinner. We had another lovely dinner filled with LOTS of laughs (Paige told us a story about what she saw on "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" and I honestly don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my life), catching up and great conversation. We had previously bought tickets to see "Pitch Perfect", so after supper we headed there for our movie. Sue and I thought it was absolutely hilarious... my mom, not so much. There are definitely some crude parts but honestly, it's hysterical. Rebel Wilson steals the show (most of you know her has Kristen Wiig's Australian roommate in "Bridesmaids). We indulged in some delicious Purdy's Chocolate treats during the show and then ventured back to the hotel to read some more and go to sleep.

Sunday brought a leisurely get-up, a lovely breakfast at Good Earth and then an absolutely breathtaking walk through Glenmore Reservoir. We drove into Red Deer and stopped for lunch at a local restaurant called The Rusty Pelican... best taco salad ever! We shopped just a tiny bit more and then drove home. It truly was exactly what I needed... time to spend with 2 ladies who love me & understand me & value me just the way I am. We had SO many laughs, great conversation and an absolutely wonderful bonding time. Can't wait for next year (we decided it needed to be annunal).

1 comment:

  1. Looooove it!!! Sounds like you had the most amazing time!!! You deserve it sis!!!

    ReplyDelete